Monday, April 13, 2009

The Psychology of a Shot

Day one of intramuscular shots is over. I now realize that I've changed a lot since we did the full IVF cycle three years ago. I can't let someone else inject me. There's something about waiting for someone else to hurt you; I need to be in control of the pain, I suppose.

This morning, my friend Tisa and I laughed and laughed about the scenario in which we found ourselves: my pants partially down, her holding a huge needle, both of us nervous and shaky. Finally, I just had to do it myself while Tisa held my butt-quadrant-one skin taut. (She's a great friend!)

Poor Chris is a little confused--he said tonight, "But I did all of your shots last time . . . " I think he kinda feels left out a little bit. I asked him if he'd rather me hit him with a hammer or hit himself with a hammer; he said he'd rather be hit with a hammer in a sneak attack . . .

So far, I am already sore. I hoping to continue running as long as possible, and I think that might help keep the muscle loose or something like that. ? Just a theory. Please pray for my mental state with these shots. It is very discouraging to have to frame my days with pain.

Here is my prayer of the day: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross . . ." (Hebrews 12:2)

For the joy set before me, I can do this . . .

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you had the courage to give yourself the shot. I could not give myself the shots when I had to have them. Very Brave! Note: the secret to injections is muscle relaxation before, during and after (our goal for injection for patients at work). First, your "butt" muscle isn't going to be relaxed bending over. Best probably laying on your stomach. Second, if muscle tightens when touching the sight then don't do the 1st part of "during" step. This step involves rubbing the area before the injection then immediately giving the injection. Injection has be slow. This will help with bruising and muscle soreness. The muscle can not handle a sudden jolt. Slowly removing the syringe will help with jarring the syringe to other parts of the muscle. After, rubbing the area will help dispense progesterone better and less harsh. Will talk to you more if needed. But yes, my prayer is tomorrow your injection will be better and less painful!! You are loved by Jesus and me!

    ReplyDelete