Saturday, March 21, 2009

Conception Cocktail

So our drugs arrived this week in two different shipments. Shipment #1 arrived on Wednesday in the middle of my drug-induced haze after the polyp removal. I know the FedEx man thought I was an addict by my appearance, signature, and his delivery. Oh well.Shipment #2 was shipped to my place of employment yesterday. Why two shipments? Insurance. The total cost to us was $180. We paid a co-pay for two of the drugs (progesterone and estrogen patches), but insurance declined one of them (Lupron). I hate insurance sometimes.
In case you're curious, here is the rundown of drugs I have to take to conceive a child:
(1) Birth control pills--I tried two kinds.

(2) Lupron injections--These aren't bad at all since the syringe is small. I will start these on Monday-one shot in the abdomen in the mornings.
(2) Estrogen patches--After 7 days of the Lupron alone, I will wear two of these on my abdomen and lower the dose of Lupron.
(3) Progesterone--This is the horrible stuff. I will have to have two injections of these each day in 12-hour increments (last time was 1x daily). I will start these three days before the transfer, which is now scheduled for April 21. I will also begin taking a Z-pack the day I start the progesterone shots.This is why these are so horrid. Check out the size of that syringe. The progestrone is drawn out with this one . . .. . . and injected with this one. It's not much smaller, but it's a thinner needle. The progesterone sits in sesame oil, and it's very painful going in. Where does it go in? Below is a diagram of my butt, drawn by our wonderful nurse Soonja. I will continue these for up to 10 weeks of pregnancy, God willing . . . We also have a lovely sharps container to accompany our drugs. Isn't it a lovely crimson color?
I'm going to have to get another one to keep at school because I'm going to have my friend Tisa give me the progesterone shot at school. With Chris' work schedule, the 12-hour windows we have to go with are 9 am and 9 pm. Let's just hope no one stumbles across my container, syringes, etc. That would definitely be an interesting parent conference.

So, there you have it! A delicate combination of drugs, my very own conception cocktail!

No comments:

Post a Comment